This statue, known as King Billy, is of William IV who reigned from 1830 to 1837.
The original statue was the figurehead on the 120 gun warship Royal William.
This one is a fibre glass replica but the original was restored and now stands, with other
restored figureheads, at the Black Yarn Stores in Devonport Dockyard.
King Billy stands just inside the Dockyard wall at Mutton Cove, on the Devonport bank of the River Tamar, from where he keeps an eye on the movements of all the Royal Navy vessels which make their way past him as they sail to and from their berths in the Naval Dockyard.